Chemical Exposure

Though exposure to chemical may not be the leading cause of brain injury, it can be dangerous to healthy brain functioning. It is not easy to accept the fact that by just being expose to chemicals which are available in the places where we work, in the house, in the garden and in almost every place where we go.

There are different classes of chemicals that could produce substances which could be lethal on the brain.

1. Pesticides: When you spray pesticides on your plants, it is but natural that you ingest them when you eat the fruits, but for pesticides to cause brain injury, its either you inhale the gaseous chemical or absorb it through your skin. Pesticides are made to kill insects, but when people get exposed to it in large amount, it could also kill brain cells.

2. Carbon Monoxide: Carbon monoxide may be odorless but it is still around us, continually poisoning people unknowingly. This gas is being released in large amount through the burning of fossil fuels; it is being inhaled since it exists in the atmosphere. Toxic level exposure can lead to lose of consciousness due to lack of oxygen to the brain. Brain injury or even death could happen. Car exhausts and home heating systems also produce carbon monoxide. Being odorless it would be hard to know if you’re inhaling it or victim of chemical exposure. Headaches, depression, irritability, and decreased cognitive functioning are some of the symptoms need to watch. When a brain lacks oxygen, hypoxia occurs; this will lead to permanent brain injury.

3. Fuels and Solvents: Chemicals that can be found in paint, paint thinner, and glue can lead to neurological problems and even brain injury when people are exposed for a long period of time. Distinctive symptoms of overexposure to chemicals in these chemicals include fatigue, dizziness, headache, and mental disorientation. Other discomfort resulting from chemical exposure involves numbness, depression, visual problems, and dementia.

4. Metals: Paints that we used in our homes include lead, lead is toxic. Continuous chemical exposure can develop brain injury and problems with motor skills and speed, as well as anemia, kidney damage, headaches, and hearing impairment. Lead exposure does not only limit to paints and the likes, it can originate from drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated food, inhaling lead dust, and in work environments like demolition, battery manufacturing, and painting. Mercury exposure can result to brain damage that would develop problems with breathing, speed in motor skills, tremors, and short term memory loss. Chemical exposure to another toxic substance like manganese can also cause brain injury or brain damage. Symptoms are dizziness, trembling, sleep problems, and clumsiness.